Thursday, June 15, 2006

My Music Evaluation Standards

Ok so I actually didn't think of this myself, but I've talked about it before with Chandler and he just posted it on his blog, so I thought to myself; "hey! that's a good idea for a blog" Anyhoo here's how I rate music.

There’s a few different categories that I use when I listen to music that all contribute to the final rating.

First there's the lyrics.
When I listen to music the lyrics are not the most important part of a song. Although a huge part of how the song sounds when I listen to a song if the lyrics aren't the best it's not so bad for me. That is on two conditions, one that the music can make up for it, and two that the lyrics aren't totally unbearable.

Now, this brings me to another category; the singer. That's a big part of how the lyrics sound. Simple rule, you gotta be able to sing. Some people can some people can't. Now this isn't an all-important part of the music. Like the lyrics, you might have a bad singer but a good song still. Usually you'll have to have good lyrics to make a bad singer sound good, but sometimes you can cover it up with real good music.

Thirdly and possibly most importantly is the music. The music, has got to sound good! If it doesn't, I'm not liking it right away. Now you can have a good singer and good lyrics to make up for not so good music, but that can only put the song up to a 5 out of 10 in my opinion.
What are ways to make a song sound good. Well, unlike Chandler, I do like a good solid beat, unfortunately that doesn't make up a good song in itself, that's just one good part. Alternately a song doesn't necissarily have to have a good beat. I do like songs that use the guitar mainly to make a good rythm/beat. Ingenuity is another good way to make a good song, like the Supertones using a trombone (however you spell that ) sounds really great and is totally suprising. At the same time you have to master your instrument, whatever it might be. You might have alot of instruments but without skill it just sounds bad. When it comes right down to it, the deciding factor in whether I like the music category of a song is usually whether the artist is skilled enough. That's a big reason why I like many many types of music. Yes, including rap. However This brings me to one more point that is a 100% deciding point for me.

The words.
I don't mean the lyrics as in how they sound and if they flow, but the words. Sometimes you can hear them sometimes you can't that doesn't bother me as much as what the meaning of them is. If a song is dirty I don't like it. Occasionally I can accept a song with a little bit of something that is questionable, but generally I don't like anything with dirty language or anything of the sort. For this reason I only listen to christian Rap, because, as you probably already know secular rap is filthy. This also applies to every other kind of music I listen to, nearly everything I listen to is christian. And again any cds I buy are 90% of the time christian.
Taking each of these factors into account is how I rate a song or a particular band or artist, and that's pretty much it.

Till next post.
Your faithful typer,
Yokanchi

~
In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.
- Ellen DeGeneres
~

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I like a solid beat, just not a heavy beat. I don't like the large "whoomp whoomp whoomp" or "breeewwwrrr breeewwwrrr".

Really like the quote this time.

Anonymous said...

I like the quote too, but why did a gay lady have to quote it???

Jessica said...

Hey I know I'm kinda late (I'm pretty sure the family sent a card) but Congrats on your graduation! When are you moving to college? I bet there's a lot you have to do before then to get ready.

I like the quote, by the way...do you find them yourself or is it one of those random quote generator things?
Jess

Anonymous said...

I just read the quote to the post before this one, the one attributed to me. I vaguely remember it, do you remember what it's from?

Yokanchi said...

hmm, didn't know that was a "gay" lady (yeah, actually that'd be "lesbian" but whatever...).
Anyway, I pick out the quotes, but I also get them in e-mails or find them online or just quote stuff that friends say.

Jessica, thanks! I'm going to college in August, or thereabouts.

Chandler, I'm not sure what your asking about the quote, I mean you said it... you probably said it at our house. That's all I really remember.

Yokanchi said...

I'm suprised no one commented on the actual post!! It was a long post too! Oh wait,
notices Chandler's first comment.
I'm not really sure what you like as a beat counts as a "beat" LOL

Anonymous said...

When I'm not overly work-loaded I'm going to get some sound bytes from some of my songs to explain better.

Anonymous said...

I've decided that Chandler is a wimp when it comes to music.

And Chandler! You are not the master of penguins. I am. Duh. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not a wimp, just more sophisticated *loud grin*

Anonymous said...

No. Just more snobbier.

Anonymous said...

Well isn't it true??

Anonymous said...

It isn't my fault I have more delicate ears! :)

Yokanchi said...

No it's not. But we pity you for not having normal ears Chandler :( (I'm so sorry.)

Anonymous said...

Your ears are just big fat brats!

Yokanchi said...

well, I'm gonna try to update my blog now, but There is supposed to be a student here now (of which there is not). So he could be here any minute.