Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Majority

One day, at a drag race while they were giving away prizes I realized how often I’m in the majority. A white middle class American teenager.

I’ve never really won prizes. There are different groups of people those who got the prize, and those who watched. I wondered why it always seemed to be this way. Maybe I was created to be average, to be in the majority. Someone has to be the majority, after all with no majority, there is no minority.

People always laud upon the unique. They encourage it. Seems like those who have something practical to accomplish always encourage the opposite though.

It never bothered me to live in the majority, though. Yes, it could be exciting to be the one who wins the prize, who is unique, but in America, to be average us really pretty good. I was actually pretty happy with my life. Not happy, as if I had accomplished something, but content to where I never really longed to be in some other situation.

I’m riding on a bus now. Every time I’m on a plane I feel more average than ever before, enough that sometimes I have dressed up and down to be unique. Different.


Till next post.
Your faithful typer,
Yokanchi

1 comment:

Yokanchi said...

Ok, so I just reread this. It's kind of alot of broken thoughts, and sentances. Sorry about that everyone. Kind of a strange stream of thought there.
Oh well.